Lower School Music Long-Term Substitute Teacher
Job Code: MU300
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School seeks qualified candidates to fill the position of Lower School Music Long Term Substitute Teacher for approximately the first six weeks of the 2019-2020 school year. The teacher will oversee and teach the Grades 2-5 music program, which is based on learning music through hands-on participation and in creating and performing both vocal and instrumental music. This is a full-time position during the weeks of employment.
Teaching and other responsibilities will include:
● Teach weekly music classes for each class on grade levels 2-5 using our current music curriculum
● Cultivate music literacy skills while introducing students to a variety of different instruments and genres of music
● Convene and rehearse CESJDS Singers (4th & 5th grade choir) and conduct them during any performances
● Prepare classes/grades of students for school performances and events
● Maintain communication with parents through in-person and other technological platforms
● Lunch and recess duties as assigned
● Work with the after-school enrichment program to support club options in the area of music
Candidates will possess a thorough background in music theory and music education, choir leadership experience, and background and skill with a variety of musical instruments. Candidates should also possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong skills in and a positive approach to classroom and behavior management, the collaborative skills to work with colleagues within and across subject disciplines, commitment to fostering an inclusive learning environment, and a passion for working with children. Candidates with experience with integration of technology into teaching practice and skills with computers overall are highly desirable. Candidates with a background in Jewish music, liturgy, and Hebrew language are preferred.
A Bachelor's degree and experience in teaching music is required, with a Master's degree preferred and a minimum of one to three years' of successful, formal teaching experience in a public or independent school. Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and references to www.cesjds.org/careers include Job Code MU300.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.