Middle School Guidance Counselor (Long-Term Substitute)
Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School
Job Code: LC100
Come join a committed, caring, talented faculty in delivering an exemplary and inspiring general and Jewish education. Together, we ensure a vibrant Jewish future through the growth of confident, compassionate thinkers who engage the world through Jewish values.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School seeks qualified candidates to fill the position of Middle School Counselor, a long-term substitute position for the 2020-2021 school year.
The Middle School Counselor will work as part of a team of three school counselors supporting students and families in the Middle School (grades 6-8), which is comprised of approximately 211 students. The Middle School Counselor will work closely with the Middle School Administration to maintain a comprehensive counseling program for middle school students, establish supportive relationships with students, foster positive relationships between teachers and students, be a resource for students and parents, and provide support in all aspects of school life.
Qualified candidates will possess the following skills in and dispositions: a palpable love for and warmth with early adolescents, strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, flexibility, creativity, and the highest standard of integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Further develop and implement grade level advisory programs and work with educators to integrate social-emotional/values-based and relational arts curricula into all content areas.
- Collaborate with students and teachers to resolve classroom concerns and assist students in developing advocacy and problem solving skills.
- Serve as a case manager interfacing with parents, teachers, learning specialists, ESOL specialists, outside professionals and administration as needed, to contribute to the success of each student.
- Provide individual counseling on a regular basis for students including scheduling needs, social/emotional support, educational/study skills guidance, co-curricular coordination.
- Guide staff to understand and work more effectively with students having social-emotional and/or behavioral challenges
- Maintain a clear eye on class balancing, taking into consideration multiple factors including, but not limited to, gender balancing, peer-peer relationships, and teacher-peer fit.
- Consult and collaborate with teams of or individual outside professionals.
- Assist and support new students and their families as they integrate into the School community.
- Work with administration on registration for students and creation of schedules for individual students.
- Actively participate in collaborative meetings to discuss social-emotional needs of students and their impact on learning.
Candidates must have strong interpersonal, technology and organizational skills, as well as experience in guidance/school counseling or social work. Knowledge about Jewish values and traditions, as well as experience with Collaborative Problem Solving or Collaborative Proactive Solutions, and experience with the Council in Schools approach to relational arts are considered a plus but not required. A master's degree in school counseling or an MSW is required, as well as three to five years of related professional experience in an elementary and/or middle school setting. Experience with research, training staff, and leading parent education are desired.
Qualified candidates should submit letter of interest, resume and references to email@example.com Job Code LC100.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.