Lower School Judaic Studies Assistant Teacher
Job Code: TJ100
Location: Lower School
FLSA Class: Exempt, 10-month
Schedule: Full-Time (7:45 AM - 3:45 PM)
Job Purpose: The assistant teacher assists the classroom teacher in creating an inviting, stimulating, and safe learning environment. Each assistant teacher is expected to contribute to a working environment that is friendly, respectful, open and honest. Assistant teachers collaborate with other teachers and classrooms, working together to share ideas and to develop joint projects and activities. Reflect the School's purpose of promoting a pluralistic environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide opportunities for students to practice and improve skills and activities that enrich instruction in the classroom
- Work with students individually or in small groups to reinforce or work toward mastery of learning concepts presented by the teacher
- Lead instruction and management of the classroom when the teacher is working with individual or small groups of students
- Assist the classroom teacher in preparing lesson materials; ensure that materials and equipment are available to support planned activities
- Provide, or recruit from other members of faculty or administration, support for students demonstrating behavioral or other social-emotional needs
- Supervise students in classrooms, hallways, cafeteria, school yard and on field trips
- Manage student behavior and work with students in a positive, respectful and supportive manner
- Attend faculty meetings and other meetings or professional development as established by the Principal
- Assist in displaying student work in a way that is attractive and informative to visitors and promotes children's self-esteem
- Support students with using technology in the classroom
- Represent the School in a favorable and professional manner
- Know the procedures for dealing with issues of an emergency nature
- Other duties as assigned by the classroom teacher or member of the Administrative Team
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience and/or interest in developing skills with supporting students' proficiency in Hebrew language and content knowledge in Judaic studies areas
- Initiative taker
- Flexible and adaptable to changing situations
- Work with students across elementary school grade levels
- Collaborative team player
- Patient, calm, and supportive in high intensity situations
- Excellent command of Hebrew language, native Hebrew speaker preferred
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 1-3 years classroom or related experience
Click here for a glimpse of our faculty and the difference they make in students' lives and lifelong learning.
To apply please email your cover letter and resume to HR@cesjds.org and include the Job Code TJ100 in the Subject line.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.