Upper School Publications Director
Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School
Job Code: PD300
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School in Rockville, MD is seeking candidates to fill the position of Publications Director for the 2015 - 2016 academic year.
The Upper School Publications Director will be responsible for the journalistic education of the Upper School in addition to serving as advisor of the newspaper, literary magazine and the yearbook.
The ideal candidate holds a degree in Journalism, Communication, English, English Education or related field, Masters preferred. Minimum of 2 years teaching experience required; experience working on publications required. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and online publishing platforms, including WordPress, required. Must be well versed in managing different social media platforms (including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach a full course load of journalism and yearbook classes, including reductions for production responsibilities;
- Work with the school administration on defining the goals and standards of the journalism program;
- Develop a curriculum which meets the needs of the publications as well as general educational requirements of the students, including advanced journalism and yearbook classes;
- Serve as advisor to the following extra-curricular clubs: school yearbook, literary club and newspaper;
- Have a deep understanding of journalistic ethics and media law and how they pertain to students, and successfully impart this to students;
- Provide leadership for faculty members advising other school publications (literary and world language magazines); instruct faculty and students in graphic design, image editing and publication programs;
- Work with all literary magazine advisors to ensure the following needs are met:
- Journalism standards
- Bidding/printing process
- Design concerns
- Award applications
- Coordinate all production and distribution activities, both during and after-school hours;
- Be present to supervise all production activities;
- Coordinate annual journalistic ceremonies, trips and other extra-curricular endeavors;
- Create an environment in which students feel and are empowered to create and are responsible for quality student publications;
- Interface with vendors, administrators, teachers and staff;
- Manage scholastic press association memberships (including NSPA and CSPA)
- Liaison with families concerning yearbook ads and community sales campaigns;
- Coordinate with Development office concerning newspaper ads campaigns and school solicitations, with particular focus in the coming year on the School’s 50th anniversary.
Submit letter of interest, resume and salary requirements via fax 240-747-9231. Reference Job Code: PD300
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.